Monday, July 16, 2012










DAY 25 (Saturday July 14th) Phillip, SD to Pierre, SD. 90 miles. My last ride on this leg of the trip. A total of 2,059 miles at the end of this ride. I will re-join the group at Niagara Falls in early August to ride across New York State and complete my ride in Lake Placid. Andrew's bike was fabulous today. As I said, it is similar to mine, both carbon fiber Specialized Roubaix size 54 frames, and with his tweaks, it felt like I had been on it before. Andrews bike even had a nicer computer, which said I burned over 7,000 calories on the Saturday ride. No wonder we have all been eating like pigs. This was not a day for climbers. No major climbs, but lots of little rolling hills that allowed sprinters to race up and down all day. I liked it a lot. Four of us teamed up to do my last ride - Tim, Theo, Malcolm and I. Me and the "international" team. We each pulled and tore through the first 1/3 to 1/2. We averaged 18 mph by picnic. Just before picnic, we took a right hand turn and hit a strong head wind that would stay with us the rest of the day. And, we had the heat again, as it was around 100 degrees. Several people SAG'd again due to the heat and head winds. But coast to coast riders with me are EFI riders (every f---ing inch). The wind was tough, as we even fought it going downhill on the last 2 mile descend into town. We stopped for milk shakes in town and completed the ride relatively early. Pictures:(1) view, (2) Malcolm - Australia, (3-4) Tim - UK - forgot to mention, this crazy man rode the Friday Badlands ride, 65 miles, without a seat - had it removed, so he could rest his bottom - crazy !!, (5) Max - From VT & Scott's brother, Ken from Canada, (6) the International team - Tim, Theo, Malcolm, (7-8) views, (9) me and 3 other people leave Pierre, (10) I think I can see Monday's ride from here. See you all in NY

No comments:

Post a Comment