Monday, July 16, 2012

















DAY 24 (Friday July 13) Interior, SD to Phillip, SD: 61 miles. Interesting day. Billed as one of the nicest rides on the tour, because we spend the first part of the day going through Badlands National Park. It lived up to the billing. It was very beautiful, especially with the morning sun against the landscape. Theo, Scott and I enjoyed stopping at all the scenic pull overs while in the park. We also had a nice climb inside the park, and left the park just after mile 22. We went through Wall, SD and stopped in at the famous Wall Drug store. Kind of like "South of the Border" for us East Coasters. The ride went south on the second half, as what was a clear and clean highway the night before, got paved that morning unannounced. I mean...a 30 mile stretch and it was "chip seal". Basically a layer of tar and then small chip stones spread on top. We had around 100 degree weather, so it was a mess for 30 miles. Theo and I stopped a couple times to take refuge under a shaded tree (when one could be found). Water bottles where like hot tea bottles. On that 30 mile stretch, we had stones and tar hitting us in all directions. With only 4 miles to go, I would became one of what was eventually four victims. A stone got stuck in my derailer as I chugged up a hill, and it stopped me dead in  my tracks, broke the derailer in two and threw me to the ground. I had only minor scrapes on my leg (and tar all over me) but the bike was toast. I called in for SAG help. Given we had fallen cyclists up and down the route (and many just gave up due to heat and road conditions) the SAG vans were very busy. I got into camp very late that night. The bike could not be fixed immediately, due to lack of parts available, so Andrew (one of our mechanics) who happens to ride a similar bike to mine and the same frame size, offered up his bike for me to complete my ride on Saturday. I had no choice, I accepted. I thank Andrew a lot, as he not only put my seat post and pedals on his bike, but also put my headset on as well. It was great fit (he said it is faster than my bike LOL). Pictures:(1-2) night before, view of Badlands from our camp site, (3-16) Badland views - Scott on 16, (17-18) views, (19-21) chip seal riding, broken derailer, scrapes, (22) view in town

No comments:

Post a Comment