Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Hello from the library at Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washnington. We are staying in the dorms this evening (a break from camping outdoors at High Schools and Boys/Girls clubs). I only have 20mins as they close soon, so here is a quick update. I will have to post pictures another day, as no time, and I forgot my USB cable for my camera. I will solve that for the next time.

Quick run down:

Day 1:  Sunday Everett WA to Skykomish WA:  Rained most of the day. Was a warm up ride to get to know each other. 68 miles, slight 10 mi climb at the end. It rained most of the day. Scenary was typical WA, green, rushing streams etc.
Day 2: Skykomish WA to Wenatchee WA. Rained all night and half of the ride. 76 miles. But we had a 16 mi climb to start. Up to Stephens Pass, into a snow capped mountain. Then a 20+ mile descend (froze my wet fingers off) down into a beautiful valley with waterfalls, rivers etc. And then ended the ride in a desert. We went from below freezing temps to 80 degrees all in one day. So...had to adjust clothing all the way. Really the most diverse and beautiful (and tough) ride I have done.
Day 3: Wenatchee WA to Coulee Dam. Finally great weather after 2 days (and nights in a tent) of rain. Dry night and days ride. Did 104 miles. First 40 in the desert, then a 5+ mile ride at 13% incline.  A killer hill. then along a plateau, a few small climbs, then rolling hills, ending with a fast downhill that ended at Coulee Dam. What a sight.
Day 4: Today: Coulee Dam WA to Spokane WA. 94 miles. Another dry day. Very hot. Started with a 5 mile climb again, then flat for quite aways, Then rolling hills.
Tomorrow another 95 or so miles.

In my next blog...when I am not being kicked out of a library, I will share some of the human interest stuff (who I am meeting and some stories), plus some pics. Bye for now.

4 comments:

  1. cant wait to see some pictures! Decended 10 degrees for 312' to get paper at mailbox. Walked up 10 degree incline back to house...felt a little exhausted. Rested and had a few Spatens! You're amazing! Good luck be safe- Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the great effort and be safe! We are watching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lot of interesting terrain for you...are you sure you weren't in Reno on Day 2? ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete