Friday, June 15, 2012

As you all know, I am embarking on a little cycling trip across America this summer. It is a supported ride, hosted by Cycle America. I had hoped to ride "coast to coast" for 4,200 miles, but that is just not in the cards. Instead, I am riding 2,500 miles, 5 weeks in total. The first part is 4 weeks, starting in Seattle, WA on June 17th and ending in Pierre, SD on July 14th. Then, I rejoin the group on August 5th along with local friends Ross & Adam Ritter, to cycle a week across New York state, starting at Niagara Falls and ending in Lake Placid on August 11th.

As you also know, I am raising funds for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP), in hopes that my ride can raise awareness of mental health issues surrounding suicide and to make more local services available. These services will give hope to those suffering from depression, so they can seek the help they need to prevent suicide, and the services can help survivors find peace after traumatic loss. Here is my fund raising page:   http://afsp.donordrive.com/event/coasttocoast/

Here is a link to the Poughkeepsie Journal Article out this last week on my trip:
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012306110041&nclick_check=1

I am looking forward to some unique experiences and breath taking views of the great North West and Mid West (and NY State) along the way. In between bear sightings, tire/tube changes and when I can find an internet cafe,  I plan to share some quick pictures and stories from the road in this BLOG. I hope you enjoy following my trip.

As I leave to Seattle today, here is my first BLOG posting "ever". This is the route map. I am riding sections 1-4 and 8. Talk to you soon !!



3 comments:

  1. Mike, It's a wonderful thing you're doing, can't wait to see the progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike! It's Jenn from DBS! Just wanted to say what a great thing you are doing. Hope you are enjoying all the beautiful sights. Can't wait to get more updates. Have a safe ride and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are an animal!!! keep up the great work. can't wait to see pix. and hear the stories.

    ReplyDelete