Saturday, August 18, 2012



MY FINAL BLOG - CONGRATULATIONS !!! 




When I arrived in Seattle to start the trip. What would I encounter?
We had lots of these on the trip.....

...and lots (but never enough) of these on the trip


The original 5 decade "Fly-boy" team: Scott - Tim - Erin - Mike - Theo
"Fly-boys" conquer Teton Pass - twice
Needles Highway
Mt. Rushmore
The 2nd 5 generation team: Tim - Adam - Mike - Ross - Theo
Hats off to these folks - they are the "Coast to Coasters" - congratulations !!!




Now that the "Coast to Coasters" have ended their trip, I can put a wrap on my Cycle America experience for 2012. This is my last BLOG entry.

First, I want to CONGRATULATE my fellow riders who completed the full 9 week >4,200 mile Coast to Coast trip this weekend in Gloucester, MA. Special congratulations goes out to the "EFI-ers". What an outstanding accomplishment !! You are all Iron Men and Woman, and as you might guess, I am extremely jealous that I was not able to complete the entire journey with you, as I had intended. Living and riding with you for 5 weeks however, I can appreciate your feat more than most.

I want to thank my many supporters again. My wife, for putting up with me being away for 5 weeks and for the many mornings I woke her up when I left at 5:00am to train. I want to thank Bikeway, who took great care of my biking needs. To the amusement of my colleagues, all I wore were your cycling kits!  I can not thank Greg Walsh and the "Cycle America" staff enough...you all rock! And, finally, I want to thank the many contributors to my cause...suicide prevention...I appreciate what you did and you all made a big difference !!!!!!

My journey, although shorter and less dramatic than the Coast to Coasters, was a huge accomplishment. I experienced first hand some of the most beautiful parts of this great country. I shared many new memories with some wonderful new friends (from all around the world). Both the memories and friends will last a lifetime. To those who were not there, here is a quick summary of my accomplishments from the trip.

Suicide Prevention Cause: 
----- $7,555 raised (to date)
----- $3,000 grant solicited from my company
----- $10,555 total charitable contribution to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention

The Cycle America Trip
----- 5 weeks, and 31 days of cycling
----- 6 States, and 2 Countries
----- 2,527 miles of cycling
----- 3 centuries (over 100 miles/day)
----- 109,763 feet of elevation (feet climbed)
----- 5 major mountain passes climbed (2 of them done twice), plus several other peaks & summits
----- 53 mph high speed
----- 20.5 mph highest days average (over an 81 mile ride)
----- 108 miles longest days ride (done twice)
----- went through 8 tubes, 1 tire, 1 spoke & rim, 1 derailleur & hanger, 3 license plates

My year summed up (and it is only August)
----- 2,527 miles from the Cycle America trip
----- 3,579 miles of additional rides and training
----- 6,106 total miles on my bike so far this calendar year

No comments:

Post a Comment